Re: [tlug] Child abuse :-(

2008/10/14 Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com>:
> Nguyen Vu Hung writes:
>  > On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 5:31 PM, SL Baur <steve@example.com> wrote:
>  > >
>  > > "A baby named Linux" http://www.linux.com/feature/149992
>
>  > I agree with your subject. This is an ABUSIVE use of his name
>  > who is going to have problem with the name in the future.
>
> Yeah right.  AFAICS it's closest to being a virtue name, like "Hope"
> in the US or "Chikara" in this country.  And undoubtedly if the kid
> comes to Japan he'll always be greeted with "OSsss".

Would you care to explain that what is the problem with the name
"Hope" in the US?

I never heard of anyones named "Chikara" in Japan but 力 can be
pronounced as つとむ。

>  > Back some years ago I heard that a mother in Japan named her child:
>  > 悪魔, whose meaning is evil.
>
> Actually, IIRC it is "devil".  This is completely not parallel to the
> case of a kid named "Linux".  "Linux" is a madeup word with no
> historically powerful homonyms, let alone ideographic meaning, of that
> kind in any language AFAIK.

Is "Linux" a madeup word?
As far as I can tell, in English,
"x" is used as a placeholder and we can replace it with any character we like,
just like "xxx"( google it) :D.
The name of the creator of the OS Linux is Linus, but I don't know if there is
any relation between Linux and Linus.

We can find a dictionary name in any bookstores in Japan while recently,
Japanese loves to name their kids like: 玲奈( Rena ), 真理亜( Maria ).
However, Japan only allow names in Kanji so if someone wants to name
his kid Linux equivalent, I may sugguest 利奈玖素( lolz)

--
Best Regards,
Nguyen Hung Vu ( Nguyễn Vũ Hưng )