Re: [tlug] Dealing with a second SSH key

Christian Horn wrote:
On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 09:44:47PM +0900, Charles Muller wrote:
Christian Horn wrote:
Charles Muller wrote:
and put it in the .ssh directory of my home folder on the remote server. I can do rsync, but I am still prompted for a password each time. I

Sorry, i misread that as passphrase. So maybe the ownerships/modes of your files on the remote server are broken.

To circumvent this just enter nothing when prompted for the keyphrase
while key-generation. Warning: obviously someone stealing the private-
key can then directly use it, so you should later at least restrict
what can be dont with the key (using command=... in the authorized_keys
file).
I still get the password prompt--and the only way to get in is by typing in my original password. Certainly, I am missing something here.

Log onto the remote box as root, execute /usr/sbin/sshd -p 2222 -ddd

I don't have root privileges on the remote box. Maybe this is part of the problem?

and from your other box use
  ssh -p 2222 -i /home/dir/.ssh/id_dsa_keyfile user@example.com

chuck@example.com:~$ ssh -p 2222 -i /home/dir/.ssh/id_dsa_keyfile acmuller@example.com

   Warning: Identity file /home/dir/.ssh/id_dsa_keyfile not accessible:
   No such file or directory.

My directory is one level up from the / directory on this box, which I'm sharing with three other people. I guess that doesn't matter, since I'm in basically the same situation on my other service, which is on a web host.

Chuck

A. Charles Muller

Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology
Faculty of Letters
University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku
Tokyo 113-0033, Japan