Re: [tlug] Somewhat OT- open source software for US voting machines

2008/10/6 Edmund Edgar <lists@example.com>:
> 2008/10/6 SL Baur <steve@example.com> wrote:
>> Why go to the expense of creating an electronic system when
>> it is pointless?
>
> You can't put 100% trust in the electronic system. (See your and Curt's
> earlier posts for details.)
>
> You can't put 100% trust in the paper system. (See the rest of your latest
> post for details.)

The vulnerabilities of a paper system can be mitigated by observation.
 The nature of software is that its behaviour is not easily
susceptible to observation.

And the criticism of paper ballots could more widely be said as 'all
ballots can be subverted'.  We all know this, there are more examples
of unfair ballots than fair ones.  The key seems to be setting up a
process that can be observed and the level of freeness judged.  If you
like, a system where a ballot cannot be subverted without it being
blindingly obvious to all involved.

[Strange how this comes up on a list whose members are mostly
disenfranchised...]

--
Ian.