Re: [tlug] Somewhat OT- open source software for US voting machines

TLUG,

Sorry if I've missed a beat or this has been proposed before, but it seems to me a lot of the electronic voting system debate is centred on the merits of one versus the other. Shouldn't they be combined.

I've always thought this is the best approach:

The voting booth has a touch screen interface. If the country has a multilingual population it wants to cater to, the voter can select the language. In any case, each politician comes with a picture. Each vote is confirmed with a nice big "You have selected X as your choice, is this correct?" style confirmation screen.

Anyway, the main point is that when the user goes through all their nice big pre-school level ease of use interface for making all their selections, the machine then prints out a ballot with all their selections printed.

This would still require paper, but it would be an advantage over current systems. The only names printed on the ballot are the ones the voter selected.

At this point the screen asks "Are the selections on the paper correct?". If not, the voter turfs the paper and starts again.

If so, the user presses a button to confirm, and a receptacle opens to take the paper, like bank ATMs take deposits.

This way, there is an electronic version and paper version. The press can report early poll results, the paper ballots can confirm the results later. And the paper ballot is printed in a standardized way that allows for machine reading, for quick assessment. It also has straight up human readable text for final confirmation if needed (which the voter needs anyway so as to assess if their own selections are correct).

Having multiple copies and backups is always good, right?

What I don't get is that it seems to me a system like this (or variants) should be stunningly obvious and I don't understand why there is even a controversy. Maybe I'm just being thick.

Anyway, that's my 2 yens worth.

--
Dave M G
http://tlug.jp/mediawiki/index.php?title=User:Dave_M_G