Re: [tlug] Somewhat OT- open source software for US voting machines

Dave M G wrote:

> Just wanted to comment on this one part that jumped out at me, because
> I think there's a slight flaw in the logic.
>> It is not that important because if a vote is being decided by a
>> fraction of a percent both possible candidates are significantly
>> representative of the wishes of the voting public.
> If I give you a choice between a poke in the eye or a kick in the
> shins, you'll choose the one you think will damage you least. It's not
> at all an indicator that both choices are in any way what you would
> actually want.
>
> Politics and voting can, and often is, about lesser-of-evils choices,
> not selecting among ideals. And there's no reason why the margin of
> difference between two evils couldn't be decided by a fraction of a
> percent.

Your telling this to an Australian,  we use preferential voting[1] so
the winner is basically the least hated ;)  The point was that its still
a strong reflection of the will of the people and there are far greater
distorting factors worth considering.

The IPU "Declaration on criteria for free and fair elections"[2] is an
interesting read.

"Every candidate for election and every political party shall have an
equal opportunity of access to the media, particularly the mass
communications media, in order to put forward their political views. "

"Encourage parties, candidates and the media to accept and adopt a Code
of Conduct to govern the election campaign and the polling period;"

"States should take all necessary and appropriate measures to ensure the
transparency of the entire electoral process including, for example,
through the presence of party agents and duly accredited observers. "

Edward

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preferential_voting
2. http://www.ipu.org/cnl-e/154-free.htm