[tlug] Re: Somewhat OT- open source software for US voting machines

"SL Baur" <steve@example.com> wrote:

> There is no need to rush the process. There is no need to declare
> elections over a month before votes are cast. There is no need to
> declare a winner before all voters have voted when votes are being
> cast. There is no NEED for E-voting. 12-24 hours to handcount paper
> ballots is sufficient and also enough to have the counting
> audited/supervised by independent parties.

Hear, hear. We run an entirely paper ballot system, and can usually
get an indication of the outcome about 90 minutes after the close of
voting. The final results can take weeks, as postal and absent votes
trickle in (you can vote at any polling station in the country, and
at any embassy/high-commission/consulate outside the country), but
with an initial count happening simultaneously at every polling station
with results telephoned to through to a central tally site, an early
accurate projection is quite achievable.

Every step of the issuing of ballot papers and the counting of votes is
watched by auditors.

--
Jim Breen
Honorary Senior Research Fellow