Re: [tlug] RMS is at it again...again

On 2008-10-03 15:04 +0900 (Fri), Edward Middleton wrote:

> [Locking you out of your data] can be easily mitigated by duplicating
> your data.

Whether this is "easily" mitigated or not depends on two things: whether
you can easily get a copy of your data, and whether this is in a form
you can easily use elsewhere.

For the first, a simple "export" option may not be so great if you're
forced to download several hundred megabytes of data every time you
want to back it up, or if you have to download thousands of items
individually.

For the second, the data aren't very useful if you don't have another
program in which you can load them that will then do the job for which
you were using the service provider.

> I don't know that there is anything that can effectively combat
> [modifing your data to misrepresent the situation], which basically
> leaves...

Sure, there is. You can keep local copies of the data and do
comparisons. I doubt that this cheap, though.

With your "basically leaves..." comment, it sort of sounded as if being
able to do nothing about a problem made it not a problem, though I'm
sure you didn't mean it that way.

cjs