Re: [tlug] Hard Drive Failure (Was: Help! Total hardware failure)

2008/9/15 Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com>:
> It's not likely at all that the NAS box is hardware RAID; it's most
> likely just a cheap Linux or BSD system using the OS software RAID
> facilities and running Samba.

All RAID is software, it's just a matter of where it runs.  The old
Megaraid cards used to have an i960 onboard that did the job, for
instance.  You're just offloading the task to another processor with
proprietary software.  And we don't like proprietary software around
here - in this case because you're never quite sure exactly how it's
RAIDed the disks together, and so when the RAID card dies you can be
up shit creek...

--
Ian.