Re: [tlug] Setting up a RAID 1 with Ubuntu (Was: Hard Drive Failure)

On 2008-09-15 18:28 +0900 (Mon), Dave M G wrote:

> Basically because if a RAID system relies so heavily on having the
> exact same hardware to make it work....

Generally software RAID doesn't. So long as you've got two chunks of
blocks available that are the same length, on two different devices, you
can do a RAID 1 across them.

Note that Ghost is likely to be more finicky than this.

> Wouldn't I be just as well off with rsync or ghost4linux or something of
> that nature?

Only if you like losing recent work when a drive fails, and then also
spending the time to figure out how to restore from your backups.

cjs