Re: [tlug] Help! Total hardware failure

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 18:37,  <dave@example.com> wrote:
> This time when it boots up again, there is a clicking noise. Not a beep or
> anything like that, but a mechanical clicking noise. I wait, and the
> computer doesn't go past the POST screen.

Hard drives clicking is not usually a good sign. I know someone (he is
on this list) that swears in this case that if you take the HDD out
and place it in the freezer for an hour or two (put it in a an open
plastic container). After this take it out and reinstall it. At this
stage you might get 10 or 15 minutes worth of life out it - until it
"warms up again". Rinse and repeat until you have recovered your data.

This friend of mine did however tell me that this does not always work.

Anyway. I suggest you try it and tell me if it does work ;-)

Regards, Keith