Re: [tlug] OT: Beer Festival

BABA Yoshihiko wrote:

On Sep 10, 2008, at 10:54 AM, Edward Middleton wrote:

Edward Middleton wrote:
BASIC IDEA

Everyone involved publishes a FOAF file linking members together and including links to their pub/izakaya/tachinomi information in rdf. A crawler would be setup on the TLUG server to update members FOAF data and update their pub/izakaya/tachinomi information. The merged RDF information could be queried from the TLUG site, or alternatively people could download it for local querying. If people want to join they just need a FOAF reference from someone already involved.

I just realized I didn't include the why (i.e. what you could do with this information)? You could use this information to

* find all pubs[1] in general area.
* find the nijikai location.
* find the closest pub selling X beer.
* find all pubs rated by X
* find pubs open at a specific time.
* find the next closest pubs to the station.
* plot all pubs in a given location[2].

and all based on information by people you know.

Edward

1. replace pub with pub/izakaya/tachinomi
2. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=http:%2F%2Fwww.johngoodwin.me.uk%2Fpubs%2Fpubsmaps.kml&ie=UTF8&ll=50.926627,-1.409683&spn=0.127677,0.395508&z=12

OK, so each of us just prepare a RDF file based on this southampton file, publishes on the net, and someone writes a script to gather the info. Sounds good.

Yes that would be a good start. RDFa[1] or even GRDDL[2] able pages could also work but might take a bit more work to get the crawler setup. It might also be a good idea to extend the southampton pub vocabulary so we can say what is on tap. The beer ontology[2] could come in handy for that.

Edward

1. http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-rdfa-primer/
2. http://www.w3.org/TR/grddl/
3. http://www.dayf.de/2004/owl/beer.owl