[tlug] Spell Check of unicode macrons (esp in Emacs 22)

Dear TLUG,

For all the wonders of EMACS 22, I still cannot get it to spell check (ispell-region) properly on unicode macrons of Japanese words. (I want to spell check the romanizations to make sure I was consistent with the long o and u). The ispell program (actually it runs as the newer aspell program) either ignores macron containing words or fails to recognize the word boundaries, thus defeating any manual additions to the private dictionary.

Anyone got a spell check working (inside of emacs or not) for this kind of unicoded text including Japanese words?

David Riggs