[tlug] RSS questions

TLUG,

I'm setting up an RSS feed on a web site, and I've basically got it working, there's just some concepts that I'm not totally clear on. I'm hoping somebody here can set me straight.

My essential question is on the theme of the division between different RSS files, different "channels", and different "items".

If you were intending to offer slightly varied content on a web site, would you have one RSS document with multiple "channels", or is it better to have different RSS documents for different feeds?

For example, if I had articles about hockey in one feed, and vegetarian recipes in another feed, but both topics were served off the same web site, "vegetarianhockeyplayers.com", which approach would I take?

I realize the question raises issues of branding and whether or not different content should be on one site. But indulge me. Let's just go ahead and assume that some of my hypothetical RSS subscribers want hockey news, some want recipes, and some want both.

Also, on the level of "items", if I wanted to make audio files available in both OGG format (because I'm all about the open source) and MP3 format (because nobody actually uses OGG), again, would I use different RSS files, or different items?

I've learnt that the <item> entry in an RSS only takes one multimedia item, so I can't offer the choice of either attached to each item I want to broadcast. So would I offer two different items in the same channel?

Thanks for any advice or assistance.

--
Dave M G
http://www.tlug.jp/wiki/User:Dave_M_G