Re: [tlug] Advice on a new ThinkPad purchase

On Sat, Aug 09, 2008 at 07:54:17PM +0900, Mark Makdad wrote:
> One key concern is getting the PCMCIA card working-- seems like the recent
> EMOBILE card is actually USB-- definitely more portable than PCMCIA, but at
> the same time, far more likely for me to snap the thing off randomly (c.f.
> any wireless mouse receiver I've ever tried to use).

It took me approximately thirty seconds to get the E-Mobile PCMCIA card
working under Debian, having never even so much as looked at one of
those things before.

When you plug it in, it actually manifests itself as a USB hub with a
CDC-ACM serial device plugged into it, and all you have to do is set up
PPP with the magic options (google for "emobile ubuntu" for all the
information that you need) and you'll be set.

E-Mobile is astonishingly Linux-friendly, as it turns out.

--Dave