Re: [tlug] DTrace article

Christian Horn wrote:
On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 04:47:55PM +0900, Edward Middleton wrote:
Is anyone actually using SystemTap? Both the Linux port of DTrace[1] and SystemTap look a long way from prime time last time I checked. Have they got utrace doing anything useful?

Havent used SystemTap yet, guess its just all the performance-
problems i as a sysadmin stumbled upon yet were obvious enough to
not have to dive into the application with SystemTap.

My impression having installed and tried to run the basic SystemTap examples is that it is starting to get enough of the kernel infrastructure in place so that some tracing is possible, but all the user level tool and library development doesn't seem to have started. Last time I checked there wasn't enough documentation to really do anything useful with.

On the other hand the DTrace port uses all the SUN DTrace userland tools but appears to be a long way from having the kernel drivers sorted. It also appears Paul is using some of the CDDL code in the kernel driver which will make it impossible to merge into the mainline kernels. I don't think this projects prospect are all that great unless he can get mainline kernel developer buy-in. The are too many internal changes between kernel revisions that will inevitably break this if the maintainers don't support it.

Edward