Re: [tlug] FTTH ISP recommendation

On 2008-08-06 13:01 +0900 (Wed), Edward Middleton wrote:

> OK, I don't know anything about Mansion fiber except that a I have heard a
> number of people complain about it.

Well, now me too. :-)

> I had presumed they would give you an Ethernet connection from MDF.

The VDSL itself should be pretty close to 100 Mbps Ethernet, perhaps
barring a fairly minor latency increase and speed reduction.

> I have a 30m[1] Ethernet cable connecting the modem to the router, so
> my setup isn't exactly ideal....

Sounds ideal to me; so long as you're using full-duplex you don't have
to worry about collision detection latency, and if you're using decent
cable, you're within the length limits.

> Was the telco guy connecting from the MDF or your VDSL end to getting 70-80
> Mbps?

He was connecting from the Ethernet jack on my VDSL modem to something
at the other end of the modem link; whether it was at the MDF or
elsewhere I don't know.

> With B-Flets you can connect to the Flets Square[2]? without an ISP
> which will allow you to just test the line speed.

I have no idea how to do this. Any hints?

> 1. I had to go through the air conditioning vent at the back of the
> property because the owner wouldn't allow any holes.

Yeah. I'd love to do this, since I've got a utility pole near my
balcony, and a handy aircon access hole, but the owner of the building
didn't want to allow cable between the utility pole and the building in
that location. :-(

cjs