Re: darcs: a study in communication failure (was Re: [tlug] Darcs and the Lack of Haskell Programmers)

On 2008-08-05 17:32 -0400 (Tue), jep200404 wrote:

> Here's more fuel to fan the flames with:
>    darcs: a study in communication failure
>    https://lopsa.org/node/1656

This thought has been expressed in pretty much the same way several
times on the Darcs mailing list.

The short summary is: rather than being an honest and accurate release
announcement, it should have had a bunch of PR spin applied to it; that
lack of spin led to the open source technical crowd making certain
assumptions about the project which, though the project is technically
ok, may lead to it dying merely because everybody has decided to think
that it's dead.

I find this pretty ironic, given that when some marketing droid at some
corporation does this with a product in the exact same situation, the
geeks scream their heads off that someobody's applying spin instead of
being factual.

Anyway, it's nice to know that in the technical side of open source,
just as in presidential politics, it doesn't pay to be honest about
what's really going on. We're all more similar than I'd thought.

cjs