Re: [tlug] FTTH ISP recommendation

Quentin Arnaud wrote:
On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 10:11 PM, Edward Middleton <emiddleton@example.com> wrote:
I Just tried the following.

# time lftpget
ftp://ftp.iij.ad.jp:/pub/NetBSD/misc/hubertf/netbsd-live-2007.iso

real 1m18.334s

# ls -l netbsd-live-2007.iso
-rw-r--r--+ 1 root root 734107648 Nov 12  2006 netbsd-live-2007.iso

Obviously YMMV.

Thanks for the feedback Edward, getting 70Mbps throughput is very
good. Asahi-net is very tempting. And apparently you do not have any
other complains.

Obviously your performance will vary depending on where you are connecting to. The above server is run by a domestic backbone provider so it should be very fast.

My major interest was having a reasonably priced static IP. At the time I looked, OCN was offering something for around 10,000yen a month and Asahi-net offered a free static IP. Asahi-net recently changed to charging 840 yen per month for my internet course but thats still pretty cheap. I have also heard that Usen is good but they don't have coverage where I live so it was not a consideration for me.

Edward