Re: [tlug] Darcs and the Lack of Haskell Programmers

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Curt Sampson writes:
 > Darcs would be interesting; certain parts of it look complex enough that
 > I probably wouldn't trust a Ruby rewrite of them.

Before the "power-of-language" thread infects us here, let me point
out that my claim is that git was designed from the git-go (as you
were, men, as you were) to be driven by scripts, and thus presented a
sane target for a shell driver. When going to the next level down, it
presented a straightforward API for the object DB, so Ruby code could
easily be written for it. Darcs and Bazaar are definitely not
factored the same way, and I bet not Mercurial either.

And Darcs is something the cat coughed
up as far as I can tell; I can see no designed API at all. (Darcs 2
may be better, but from comments on the Darcs lists I suspect not.)

There seem to be two attempts to make a ruby Darcs extension[1]. A simple Google didn't bring up anything for Bazaar and Mercurial.

Edward

1. http://wiki.darcs.net/DarcsWiki/RubyDarcs
   http://eraserhead.net/darcs/darcs-ruby/