Re: [tlug] FTTH ISP recommendation

On 2008-08-04 13:44 +0900 (Mon), Quentin Arnaud wrote:

> Any one knows how the other 2 USEN and TEPCO-Hikari work ?

TEPCO-Hikari is now KDDI, I believe.

I've used serveral Usen home connections, and they were invariably
quite fast and offered five static IPs for your hosts. (The sixth is
the router for the /29 they give you.) I've heard that that service is
harder to get these days, though.

> Does it depend more on the actual optical fiber (ntt b-flets vs KDDI
> hikari one) or the ISP ?
> ...out of curiosity what sort of
> speed do you get with ASAHI +  NTT B-flets ( and of course are you in
> a house or in a mansion?)

Much more on the ISP, I think. I watched the NTT guy test my B-Flets
mansion fibre, and he was getting rates of 70-80 Mbps both up and down.
I've never seen an Asahi link (incuding mine) go faster than about 15
Mbps, even to a host on Usen business fibre in Tokyo. (A Usen connection
gets about 80 MBps to the same host.)

I've got a GOL connection on my fibre as well, but just haven't had the
time and energy to bring it up to compare.

cjs