Re: [tlug] Darcs and the Lack of Haskell Programmers

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Dave Brown writes:
> On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 02:22:59PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> > [2] My theory is that git was originally a few low-level C programs
> > for manipulating a fast object database, with the UI built up from
> > scripts. I think this heritage makes it likely that it is much better
> > factored for the kind of abuse a server environment will dish out than
> > the user-pandering programs like Darcs, Mercurial, and Bazaar.
> > Ironically, github saw large performance gains when they quit using the
> C programs and switched to a pure-Ruby git library[1].

Surely you don't expect me to be surprised! But ... what do you think
the odds are that they *could* switch to a pure-Ruby library for Darcs,
Mercurial, or Bazaar?

Not something I have the time or inclination to try but if it can be done in C it can be done in Ruby, though it would make more sense to factor out the performance critical or nasty parts to a binary extension. Has anyone written haskell ruby extensions ;)

Edward