Re: [tlug] STM (was: Re: work times & accommodation @tokyo)

On 2008-08-02 12:46 +0900 (Sat), Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> (...on the argument that it takes so long to raise up Haskell
> programmers that anybody who wants to have one in five years should
> probably start training about three now).

I wanted to say that, "this is a serious misapprehension," but it might
be just because I like to say things like that. :-)

But I think you do have it the wrong way around here. Rather than
raising three and getting one, you can raise one and get a hundred.

My biggest issue with learning Haskell has been that I'm the first
one in my company doing it, and I have no one to go to when I need
help. (Well, I've got an incredible IRC channel available, but even so,
compared to having someone walk over and sit beside you for a couple of
minutes, it turns a three-minute issue into a thirty-minute issue.)

Once you've got one guy in your company who knows this stuff and can
help out the others, things will go much, much more quickly.

It's no different from having fifty thousand lines of code, and having
or not having around someone who's been working on it for the past year
or two.

cjs