Re: [tlug] STM (was: Re: work times & accommodation @tokyo)

2008/7/28 Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com>:

> Well, that's very nice and all, but not at all what I was talking about.
> STM addresses what he calls "asynchrony," dealing with the locking
> issues that were my nightmare of Java thread programming. The fork/join
> framework doesn't address this at all.

It does indirectly, unless I am misunderstanding you altogether (which
is entirely possible). I would hazard that a lot of your locking
problems originated from attempts to parallellise algorithms, right?
There are certainly other uses for threads and the necessity of
locking that they breed, but I guess that parallellisation is one of
the major use cases.

Fork/join gives you that for free, and handles the locking with no
explicit code on your part. I guess this is how GHC's "par" works,
right?

What other languages have something analogous to "par"? For that
matter, what languages are supported by GHC? Just Haskell, or other
languages in that family?

--
Cheers,
Josh