Re: work times & accommodation @tokyo, WAS: Re: [tlug] Embedded linux dev wanting to find work in Tokyo.. Seeking advice.

2008/7/21 Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com>:

> Stephen may correct me on it, but my take was that the products lose not
> because they're too good, but because they're not good enough. They may
> exceed the desired specifications in many areas; but they fail in at
> least one other.

This is not what I got from Steve's explanation of this last night.
Then again, we were talking over pints, so I may have missed the
central point.

I think the point is not really even about the failure of products per
se, but rather disruptive innovations making products effectively
obsolete. So it is a failure of planning and business models, not of
engineering.

Now if you have a firm that is constantly working on potentially
disruptive innovations like Google, they may be in the happy position
of obsoleting their own products, which would lead to some products
being stuck in maintenance mode and shifting more resources to the
disruptive innovation, until it in turn is disrupted and the cycle
starts anew.

I hope that other big tech companies have figured that out. *ahem*

--
Cheers,
Josh