Re: work times & accommodation @tokyo, WAS: Re: [tlug] Embedded linux dev wanting to find work in Tokyo.. Seeking advice.

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 01:33:00PM +0900, Julien Feltesse wrote:

> > I can only tell from the stuff I learn in university (modern japan
> > sciences) - but in Japanese companies サービス残業 (service overtime) are
> > usual and expected.
> > Affiliates and branches of western companies usually do not expect it;
> > one of the reasons why young Japanese prefer to work there, too.
> >

> At the same time I know Japanese people who would never work at companies
> where overtime is not paid so they work at companies where everyone, not
> only the baito guys, has a time card.
> So they do overwork but it's not for the glory of it.
> I don't remember how high (or low?) their base salary is though.
>
> The one thing to be on the look out for is if they mention overtime in the
> contract.
> In my last contract next to the salary amount there was written in tiny
> characters "this salary includes 30h overtime / month".
> First time I'd seen "planned" overtime even before the job starts.
> Only in Japan maybe?

The most recent time I went job seeking, I found myself with a choice of
two jobs.

The first paid quite well, with an expectation of a lot of overtime.

The second didn't pay quite as well, but the working hours were
well-defined, with any overtime being compensated for as time off in
lieu.  Also, regular performance-based pay raises.

I took the second job.  The first job had more interesting work, but the
second had a much healthier attitude towards work-life balance, and
that's what tipped the scales for me.  If you want to make me work
ridiculous hours, there had better be an absolutely *crazy* pot of gold
at the end of the rainbow--and that pot of gold simply wasn't there.
Maybe it's just because I'm old enough to appreciate the value of my own
life, but killing myself for a company that described itself as "in
startup mode" after nearly a decade of operation set off enough warning
bells that I didn't want to work there.

You have to do your homework and research the background of the company
before you make the decision to work there.  The company I'm working at
now?  They value my skills, and they appreciate my presence even if I'm
not actively using my skills at any given moment.  My employment
contract is on a sort of retainer basis--they know that if a
circumstance occurs that my skills will be necessary, I will pull them
out of the fire, often without even breaking a sweat.  The rest of the
time, I'm free to hack on whatever I want to.  And that is the sort of
job worth looking for.

--Dave