Re: [tlug] Embedded linux dev wanting to find work in Tokyo.. Seeking advice.

2008/7/17 Joe Larabell <fred62@example.com>:

>> This was the same when I got a working visa extension.
>
> Well... extending an existing visa is a slightly different situation.
>
> My information is from at least 5-6 years ago but I once read an official
> publication that said tourist visas (the ones they stamp in your passport at
> the airport without prior application) were not extendable and could not be
> used to transfer to another visa status. I don't see that listed on any of
> the English sites anymore so maybe that's old information. It also might
> depend on the country one is from (Britain's treaties with Japan seem to be
> more flexible than those of the US for some reason).

It's certainly possible to transfer from a short-term to a working
visa (I've done it too :) ). I'm also British, but as far as I'm aware
this isn't restricted to particular nationalities.

What is restricted, and hasn't been mentioned before, is a working
holiday visa, which might be available to the OP as another
possibility (I think it's for people under 30).

> Of course, I still remember coming over here once before it was OK to come
> into the country for business on a tourist visa. I brought some literature
> along for a friend and had to spend what seemed like forever explaining to
> the guy at customs that I was *not* coming to Japan on business. Things do
> change -- sometimes for the better.

Had a couple of O'Reilly books in my baggage last time I entered on a
short-term visa which attracted some attention, but they were for a
friend and it was no problem :).

Ian Barwick