Re: [tlug] Embedded linux dev wanting to find work in Tokyo.. Seeking advice.

This was the same when I got a working visa extension.

Well... extending an existing visa is a slightly different situation.

My information is from at least 5-6 years ago but I once read an official publication that said tourist visas (the ones they stamp in your passport at the airport without prior application) were not extendable and could not be used to transfer to another visa status. I don't see that listed on any of the English sites anymore so maybe that's old information. It also might depend on the country one is from (Britain's treaties with Japan seem to be more flexible than those of the US for some reason).

Of course, I still remember coming over here once before it was OK to come into the country for business on a tourist visa. I brought some literature along for a friend and had to spend what seemed like forever explaining to the guy at customs that I was *not* coming to Japan on business. Things do change -- sometimes for the better.

---
Joseph L (Joe) Larabell            Never fight with a dragon
http://larabell.org/                    for thou art crunchy
http://thelemicleague.org/        and goest well with cheese.