Re: [tlug] Embedded linux dev wanting to find work in Tokyo.. Seeking advice.

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 02:39:01AM -0400, Joe Larabell wrote:

>> ... There is some risk here because if you don't find work within 30 to
>> 45 days your likely hood of having to leave the country once (and come
>> right back in) is quite high as it typically takes 4 to 8 weeks for the
>> Japanese government to process your visa request.
>>
>> Note that only the Tokyo immigration office has this "pick up where you
>> left off" power. If I understand correctly, if you try to do this in
>> Osaka or another region, your application will be canceled the moment
>> you leave the country and you will have to re-apply from scratch.
>
> This must be something new, as every source I've ever seen on the subject
> says you can only apply for a working visa from *outside* the country
> anyway. So once one finds a job, it's necessary to leave Japan in order
> to start the application process.

I switched from a visitor permit to an engineer visa without leaving the
country.  Heck, they even put a stamp on my passport saying SHINSEICHUU
and told me not to leave the country while the application was being
processed even if the visitor permit expired.

--Dave