Re: [tlug] Embedded linux dev wanting to find work in Tokyo.. Seeking advice.

2008/7/14 Jon Povey <jon@example.com>:

> Hi folks. This is my first post to the list so please excuse me if this is
> inappropriate.

Nope, not at all. Welcome to TLUG.

> I am a 28-year-old embedded linux developer in England looking to find work
> in Tokyo. I visited Japan for the first time a year ago, fell in love with
> the place, went back in the spring (sakura, of course) and now want to
> emigrate there.

I'd offer the following advice:

1. Look around where you are for multi-nationals with offices in
Japan. Talk to their HR and see if they have openings in Japan. Moving
with a multi-national will be the easiest, since they will take care
of the visa paperwork.
2. Work *hard* on Japanese. You may be able to find a job in Tokyo
with limited or no Japanese, but it gets a lot easier when you can
speak the language, at least to some degree.
3. If you can afford to do so, consider coming over on a tourist visa
(90 days) and looking around for work on the ground. There are a
couple of decent recruiters subscribed to the list, so if they are
reading, they should contact you. If not, I'll send you their email
addresses.

Good luck!

--
Cheers,