Re: [tlug] Versions -- The Next Stupid Question

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
CL writes:

> If I backup the installation on my 32-bit (P4) box and restore it to my > 64-bit box, have I destroyed the features of 64-bit Kubuntu?

You are *really* asking for trouble, here. You do not own your box
anymore; Kubuntu does.

Not wishing to pull the pin, count to ten, and throw but ... isn't that statement true of any OS? Somewhere between BASIC and COBOL (and before FORTRAN and JOVIAL, but before punch tapes) I stopped believing that every wheel had to be reinvented nor that every wheel that left my machine had to have my name embossed on it ... maybe it's just an age thing.

> Or is the answer to start from scratch and do everything as a fresh > install and transfer the work files only?

Yes.

Thank you, and Edward M., as well. You've both confirmed what I was thinking / expecting to hear.

--
CL