[tlug] Embedded linux dev wanting to find work in Tokyo.. Seeking advice.

Hi folks. This is my first post to the list so please excuse me if this is inappropriate.

I am a 28-year-old embedded linux developer in England looking to find work in Tokyo. I visited Japan for the first time a year ago, fell in love with the place, went back in the spring (sakura, of course) and now want to emigrate there.

I am finishing a big project at work and will be in a position to leave in 3 months or so.

I know a few people out there but nobody in the computing world, so if anyone has any advice on finding work or visas, links to useful information, or stories of their own emigration I'd be really grateful to hear them.

I'd be particularly interested to hear from anyone who had a company help them with a visa (or invitation, I'm not sure about the terminology), or anyone who got a job while only able to speak and write English; I very much want to learn the language, and have started doing so, but I don't think I'll be able to count myself as having even "conversational" ability in the next few months. (ima wakarimasen).

I'd also generally be interested to hear from anyone with English as their first language who has emigrated to work in UNIX coding or embedded systems.

I'll stay subscribed to the list, and with luck meet some of you at a TLUG meeting in a few months :)

Thanks for your time,

--
Jon Povey
jon@example.com