Re: [tlug] Version Questions

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 08:04:06PM -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 08:34:31AM +0900, CL wrote:
>
> I don't know.  I'm running 64 bit of everything now, but the difference
> is probably all in my head.  I never did any benchmarks. It sometimes
> seems faster, but again, it might be my imagination.

Matches my impression.
Some people say the 64bit-registers are better used by applications that
do a lot of calculations.
OTOH 32bit-compiledapplications are smaller, so less stuff to read from
disk so less disk i/o needed for bins than on 64bit.
Also drivers on x86 are said to be better tested than ones on 64bit,
running many servers on 64bit i cant say 32bit-drivers are better than
64bit-drivers.

> > I am assuming that if I _did_ install 64-bit Kubuntu that a VirtualBox would
> > run WIN XP or W2K 32-versions just fine (usual disclaimers about not having
> > access to 64-bit computing power already accepted).
>
> Yes.  That should certainly work.  I've run VirtualBox on various 64 bit
> systems and install the 32 bit O/S and everything is fine.

Runs without problems, and if you plan to use virtualization/emulation
software you should opt for 64bit as host-system since most of those
software do only emulate 64bit-guests with 64bit running on the host
system.

Christian