Re: [tlug] Version Questions

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 08:34:31 +0900
CL <az.4tlug@example.com> wrote:

> I have been told that a Core Duo (in the ThinkPad) machine runs faster
> if you install the 64-bit version of your favorite *nix OS.  Is there
> any truth to this?

It depends on the application you are running. Generally speaking,
64bit doesn't run faster than 32bit unless you need the additional
bits for something (calculations with large numbers or huge
memory consumption). What makes x86_64 faster than x86 is that
it provides a lot more registers which make it possible to keep
more intermediate values within the cpu instead of having to
store them in L1/L2/L3/DRAM. But not all applications can
profit from this (although there are only very few who don't).

				Attila Kinali
--
It is the unknown we fear when we look
upon death and darkness, nothing more.