[tlug] [samba] Ubuntu <-> MacOS connectivity

Hi all,

You maybe remember my previous questions about my terastation, where
we ended up discussing about bridging/nating, etc...

Pfff... No way, I resigned to setup NAT, and it was the only
possibility (for different reasons explained before).

So the new setup is simple:
  Terastation <---eth---> Ubuntu <--- wifi ---> world (lan, in fact)

On the lan, there is my wife's MacOs. I have so many issues, that I
don't know where to start from :-(

Let's try: Terastation shares are samba shares. Why not.
So I mount these shares on my linux box, with entries like that in fstab:
//terastation/music      /tera/music  cifs
credentials=/home/br/.smbcredentials-bruno,rw,charset=utf8,setuids,file_mode=0666,dir_mode=0777
0 0

My current plan is to share this directory to my lan. It looks simple.

First plan: NFS: I tried to export /terastation/music. Result:
  exportfs: Warning: /tera/music does not support NFS export.
I made a test, and was able to export local directories successfully.
Then I found that this is linked with the file system (cifs). Google
showed me some issues with that, and I stopped to look after this
preferred solution, as I my kernel is *not* the standard Ubuntu one (I
have to use 2.6.20 for my wifi card).

Well... I will export with Samba then.

But I have an issue even before that, with Japanese names. If I copy a
file from terminal to the server, "ls" shows the correct filename. But
Nautilus shows garbage characters. But If I copy from Nautilus to the
drive, "ls" in terminal shows garbage (but Nautilus shows the correct
Japanese name). I thought this could be an environment issue,  and
started a new Nautilus from command line. No change :-(
I am not an expert on filesystems filename encoding, so this is my
first question, if you can help (by the way, on my local filesystems,
both terminal & Nautilus show the correct names).

Next step ( I spent the night on googling/experimenting everything).
Exporting to my wife computer (samba, no choice, as explained before).
The setup on my Linux box is (I removed what I think is unnecessary):
[global]
	netbios aliases = br
	null passwords = Yes
	usershare allow guests = Yes
	create mask = 0777
[music]
	path = /tera/music
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes

With that, I am able to mount the "music" drive to the Mac. The next
problems comes then.
1) from "finder" (the Apple graphical tool), I may create directories,
but no files (WTF?). The error is "-36". I spent all the night to
google/test about it, without success. This error is common, with
apparently as many reasons as there are ants on our Earth :-(
2) from the Apple terminal, I can copy files with no issue (and, when
done,  Japanese filenames are correct only on my Linux terminal, not
Nautilus). I guess that if somebody can answer my question above, this
issue will be over).

This was my second question. Obviously, I may plug the terastation
directly to the wifi network, I think this would avoid the "finder"
issue (hum... guess only). If you have no clue, this will be my next
try (the problem being that my wife will kill me when she sees the box
in the main room :-(

Thanks, if you have some ideas, I prefer to be alive for some more years :-)

Bruno.

--
2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.