Re: [tlug] Color postscript network printer

Hi,

I just bought the Epson PM-A840 2 weeks ago by 19,600 yen, and have no problem on printing from Linux (I'm using CentOS 5.0 plus CUPS drivers). Since CUPS (Common Unix Printing System) will handle all of Postscript parts, we don't have to care about Postscript capabilities on the printers themselves, do we?

From: CL <az.4tlug@example.com>
Sent: 2008年07月04日 10:23:30
I have been told a couple of times by PC Depot staff NOT to buy anything Epson as they will only guarantee performance with WIN-J (currently XP and Vista only) and that anything else voids all warranties and

EPSON also supports Macintosh, and Macintosh supports CUPS. If you find the .ppd (Postscript Printer Description) file on the CD-ROM of the printer driver, it is probably useful in CUPS systems on Linux too (in fact I am using the .ppd file from the Windows driver CD-ROM).

I wonder the PC Depot staffs were just avoing so many questions from other than Windows users, since they don't know much about other OS's.

guarantees. This has been at several PC Depot outlets so I do not know whether that company has a particular axe to grind or whether they are completely serious. If it matters, staff at T-Zone DIY Shop in Aki told me the same thing.

YMMV, of course.

Of course, they may not guarantee Linux, and the driver disk of any printers from EPSON or Canon doesn't provide any fancy applications for Linux as they do for Windows. But I don't know if there is any other company who is actually providing such applications for Linux. So I don't care if any printer doesn't provide Linux supports.

CUPS is the default printing system on MacOS X, so I guess that the printers which supports Macintosh is also available from Linux.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
---Shin.
--