Re: [tlug] VNC, secure or better options?

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 11:48:17PM +0200, Christian Horn wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 12:26:32AM +0900, Dave M G wrote:
> >

> > 2. Since I'm accessing it over the local network, I'm wondering if VNC
> > is the best route. I'm wondering because it is kind of slow. When I call
> > up Amarok, it can make it a bit annoying as far as navigating around the
> > interface. Is there a better option than VNC for accessing computers in
> > a local network, or a way of optimizing VNC?

I think you might want to try FreeNX. (Or even commercial NX if you're
the only one connecting, probably easier to set up, and Free as in Free
Diet Mountain Dew, but only allows two concurrent connections.)

I have a page on it, but it's Fedora/RH based.  There's also a good
article on the CentOS wiki which is, oddly enough, aimed at CentOS.

However, I'm sure there are Ubuntu howtos around. It's far far faster
than VNC in my experience.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: Now, we can do this the hard way or... well, actually,
there's just the hard way.
Darla: That's fine with me.
Buffy: Are you sure? Now this is not gonna be pretty. We're
talking violence, strong language, adult content.