Re: [tlug] [Was: iptables] Forward multicats

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 8:34 AM, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
>> Sure, but my wife has a Mac, and I spent time to teach her the basics
>> of that airport management...
>
> Just out of curiousity, what does she manage? It would seem to me that
> you'd just set up the system and she'd ignore it entirely.

She does not do much, but is able to add some mac addresses, for instance.
She is also understands some basics, such as signal level (we had some issues
sometimes, for little period of time, and having a greater signal does generally
resolve it - without having to leave it at max level all the time).
Or simply restart it without having to climb 2 levels (this happens quite often,
unfortunately, when the router becomes extremely slow, then fine again after
a restart).

> Certainly at home, where I use a NetGear router on Mansion Fibre, I never touch the
> thing during normal usage. I think I poke at it once or twice a year to
> debug a network connectivity problem or whatever.

Right, this does not happen so often (I would say 5-10 times a year),
but I am often on
business trip, so she knows the basics to "survive" if small issues
come, or if a friend
visits with another computer.

>> But, as you speak about another wifi router, can you tell me the names
>> of some models where I could input my own routing tables (except the
>> default one, obviously)?
>
> You don't want to input your own routing tables; you just want to run
> the RIPv2 routing protocol (which almost all of them seem to have these
> days) on the router and on your Linux box, and the Linux box will
> automatically let the router know what routes it has available.

Manual or RIPv2, this is not really the question (I guess a router
knowing RIPv2 will
also accept static routes, and vice-versa). After, this is personal
choice to prefer
one or the other. I don't have any preference, both will work.
My question should have been: Do you know wifi routers who can manage specific
routes on internal (wifi) network?
But your answer seems to show that they nearly all accept this... Not mine :-(
But this is a good news.

Thanks,

br.

--