Re: [tlug] VirtualBox Capabilities

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 10:49:43AM +0900, CL wrote:
> Scott Robbins wrote:
> >On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 05:04:27AM +0900, CL wrote:

> Maybe you also need to spend some time with the following lines from
> your site:
>
> >*We are going to create some temporary interfaces. If you have VirtualBox
> >running all the time, you probably want to look at the User Guide's
> >instructions. So, let's begin.*

Yup, that part isn't clear on my part.  I will fix it shortly.  :)

> Please note that _I_ am not scolding or flaming _you_ either, but you
> _do_ say "look at the User Guide's instructions" as well as saying that
> the interfaces are temporary ... which is something I do not want; I
> want permanent ones.

Yes, I do--remember, it's a Linux howto, they're not supposed to be
clear or accurate, then we can blame the user for not researching
properly. It's not a BSD howto.

(Before anyone gets outraged, that's a joke, folks, in vague reference
to another thread about Phillip's article.)

Seriously, I am going to clarify that as soon as I write this email.

> Well, it confused me before it did anything else.  The _one_ thing it did
> differently than your page did was to tell me to go to a specific file, open it
> as root, make changes to it and then save.  This was comforting to a simpleton
> like me as I know it will still be there wreaking whatever havoc I have caused
> until I fix it again.  I cannot see how your system achieves any permanence.
> Sorry, but that's my newbieosity.

No, my system is not a permanent one.  I don't really want my machines
running all the time, (this is part of what I'll better explain in the
article shortly--that I don't have them running all the time, and am not
really interested in doing so, so that if one wants that, they're stuck
with the manual.)

There are various reasons I don't want that--in brief, if I have need
for something running all the time, to, for example, put apache in a
more secure environment, I'll use VServer, which is far easier on
resources.  I use VBox on one powerful machine, but even so, I have no
real need for a second system running at the same time on any long term
basis. I might do it to test something, or to use Windows to connect to
my company's VPN, but afterwards, I kill the bridge and shut it off.

So, nothing wrong with your newbie (as you put it) question--it's a
correct interpretation, and I thank you for bringing that lack of
clarity in my article to my attention.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Oz: So, do you steal weapons from the Army often?
Willow: Well, we don't get cable, so we have to make our own fun.