Re: [tlug] VirtualBox Capabilities

Scott Robbins wrote:
On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 05:04:27AM +0900, CL wrote:
On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 11:31 AM, Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 11:10:38AM +0900, CL wrote:
Scott Robbins wrote:

Replying directly from GMail because I got as far as "this next command shuts down your LAN service" and it was right ...

Errm, yeah, my script actually starts with something like, this will temporarily disconnect you-- is this ok (y/n)

Read it, knew it was going to happen, when it didn't, I went back to the manual to read more and then, when I got a new kernel upgrade with my Wheaties I rebooted and the service was stopped. But, since I knew that was supposed to happen, I wasn't too much worried.

1. The (K)ubuntu setup instructions recommend setting up a static IP.

Ok, this isn't directed at you exactly--it's directed at all the folks on various forums who use my howto, mix it with something else, then get stuck. I am going to add this to the web page in the next day or so.

My way isn't quite like the manual. If you like the manual, fine. If
it's not working for you, try it this way. Don't mix them, it causes
confusing.

Maybe you also need to spend some time with the following lines from your site:

*We are going to create some temporary interfaces. If you have VirtualBox running all the time, you probably want to look at the User Guide's instructions. So, let's begin.*

Please note that _I_ am not scolding or flaming _you_ either, but you _do_ say "look at the User Guide's instructions" as well as saying that the interfaces are temporary ... which is something I do not want; I want permanent ones.

If the manual had been adquate, there would be no need for my page.

To go through my page.
Add yourself to vboxusers.  Log out, log back in--su-ing to root then
going back to being you won't do it. (I have to add that.)

Done. I have been using this program for many days without the bridge and have gone through several reboots over that time.

To recap my page briefly.
You take down eth0. You create a bridge. You attach eth0 to the
bridge. They all have addresses on your LAN, like 192.168.1.10,
192.168.1.11. They all point to the LAN gateway.

except I wasn't connected to the LAN but all my other programs still worked … and then I rebooted and it is all gone again ...

The bridge has the address that eth0 had before, assuming you aren't
using DHCP. If using DHCP, it will probably get the same address that
eth0 had.

Yes. It did resolve to the same address as the hardware box in both cases.

I have no idea, if you do what I say in my article, that's taken care
of.  It sounds like it's from the VBox manual.  :)

Section 6.7.1.1 to be exact

This is what I mean by the above, I'll answer questions about my howto,
the manual was probably written by someone in the pay of VMware or it
would have worked for you.  :)

Well, it confused me before it did anything else. The _one_ thing it did differently than your page did was to tell me to go to a specific file, open it as root, make changes to it and then save. This was comforting to a simpleton like me as I know it will still be there wreaking whatever havoc I have caused until I fix it again. I cannot see how your system achieves any permanence. Sorry, but that's my newbieosity.

That's different than my setup. In general, the router forwards
everything to the modem--the router will have an internal address, the
192.168.1.1 and the external, probably a 192.168.11.x that will forward
all traffic to the modem. If the machines on your LAN are going to the
router, you shouldn't need the modem address--they just have to get to
the router, and it's the router's job to get it to the modem.

Turns out that it puts 192.168.11.x addresses in.

Hope this helps, and I'm not flaming you or snapping at you--it's just
that you were the unfortunate 4th or so person who mixed the manual
and my howto and got stuck. Well, I am snapping at you, but not flaming
you. :)

Well, I mixed them because you told me to ... and I believed you, as probably did all of those others.

There are ways to get it working so that when you boot, the bridge is
already in action and eth0 is bound to it, but frankly, I don't have
enough need for it to investigate that.

I'd like it to still be there when I come back again ... or figure out why my LAN connect isn't working after I I changed to Host Interface.

--
CL