Re: [tlug] There are way too many Linux distros

2008/6/19 Phillip Tribble <phillip.tribble@example.com>:

> I wrote the article and I am not a BSD user. I love Linux. just as much as
> anyone else. I just thought we could use some unity.

You are aware of LSB, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Standard_Base

Also, I think that one Linux distro is unlikely to serve the wildly
differing needs and preferences of users... unless that one distro is
Gentoo! ;)

Seriously, I could not live without Gentoo, but you prefer binaries
for faster installs. Neither one of us is wrong.

I agree with your point that NIH is bad. Also, as Stephen pointed out,
it sucks when you get stuff like ipconfig, which has become as
complicated as ifconfig, but with far worse documentation. And what
sucks more is when every distro has a slightly different version...

There is no reason that the distros cannot have one tool, which each
distro is responsible for maintaining with their distro. This is
precisely what sysadmins have to do: reinvent wheels that will fit all
the Unices they administer. It can be done, it just requires some
coordination.

--
Cheers,
Josh