Re: [tlug] VirtualBox Capabilities

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 05:04:27AM +0900, CL wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 11:31 AM, Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 11:10:38AM +0900, CL wrote:
> >> Scott Robbins wrote:
>

> Replying directly from GMail because I got as far as "this next
> command shuts down your LAN service" and it was right ...

Errm, yeah, my script actually starts with something like, this will
temporarily disconnect you-- is this ok (y/n)

> 1.  The (K)ubuntu setup instructions recommend setting up a static IP.
>  I am a /bit/ confused here as to which machine is getting the static
> IP; the hardware Linux box or the VirtualBox.  In other words, do I
> put in the IP of the real PC or do I increment it by some amount to
> indicate a new / separate / different box on the same LAN?

Ok, this isn't directed at you exactly--it's directed at all the folks
on various forums who use my howto, mix it with something else, then get
stuck.  I am going to add this to the web page in the next day or so.

My way isn't quite like the manual. If you like the manual, fine.  If
it's not working for you, try it this way.  Don't mix them, it causes
confusing.

If the manual had been adquate, there would be no need for my page.

To go through my page.
Add yourself to vboxusers.  Log out, log back in--su-ing to root then
going back to being you won't do it. (I have to add that.)

Create a bridge
ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0

As mentioned in boldface type, that disconnects you.

Add eth0 to the bridge.

If you use dhcp to get your address from the router, then do that,
otherwise give it an address, whatever address eth0 had. Explained in
detail on the page.

Vboxctl -b -u john

If john isn't your user name, then use your proper user name.  :)
This creates tap0, a virtual interface.
Bring it up and add it to the bridge, commands given on the page
To recap my page briefly.
You take down eth0.  You create a bridge.  You attach eth0 to the
bridge.  They all have addresses on your LAN, like 192.168.1.10,
192.168.1.11.  They all point to the LAN gateway.

The bridge has the address that eth0 had before, assuming you aren't
using DHCP.  If using DHCP, it will probably get the same address that
eth0 had.

Do something with iptables--while trying to get it to work, flush them

for Fedora, you'd have to adjust it for Ubuntu.

> 2.  The information in /etc/network/interfaces currently lists the LAN
> as 127.0.0.1 and am I correct in believing that I must replace this
> with the static IP address, netmask, etc?

I have no idea, if you do what I say in my article, that's taken care
of.  It sounds like it's from the VBox manual.  :)

This is what I mean by the above, I'll answer questions about my howto,
the manual was probably written by someone in the pay of VMware or it
would have worked for you.  :)

> 3.  Finally, I have a wired router and an NTT ADSL modem in my setup.
> Is the gateway address the address of the modem (192.168.1.1) or the
> first position on the router (192.168.11.1)?  I am embarrassed to say
> I have it both ways on the three boxes in this LAN ... which means I
> misread something somewhere but forget which things I read when I last
> configured.

That's different than my setup.  In general, the router forwards
everything to the modem--the router will have an internal address, the
192.168.1.1 and the external, probably a 192.168.11.x that will forward
all traffic to the modem. If the machines on your LAN are going to the
router, you shouldn't need the modem address--they just have to get to
the router, and it's the router's job to get it to the modem.

Hope this helps, and I'm not flaming you or snapping at you--it's just
that you were the unfortunate 4th or so person who mixed the manual
and my howto and got stuck.  Well, I am snapping at you, but not flaming
you.  :)

There are ways to get it working so that when you boot, the bridge is
already in action and eth0 is bound to it, but frankly, I don't have
enough need for it to investigate that.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Cordelia: Oxford. Whoopee. Four years in teabag central.
Sounds thrilling. And M.I.T. is a clearasil ad with housing, and Yale
is a dumping ground for those who didn't get into Harvard.
Willow: I got into Harvard.