[tlug] Re: Updating iconv tables

Jim Breen writes:

 > OK, Bruno has replied pointing out "EUC-JISX0213" is what should be used
 > as the iconv indicator for JIS X 0213 codepoints.

Gag me.  Is 0213 a superset of both 0208 and 0212, so that just
specifying EUC-JISX0213 captures everything?  And if it's upward
compatible, you'd think that EUC-JP would be aliased to
EUC-JISX-whatever-is-most-comprehensive, no?

Why the Japanese insisted on created X0212 and X0213, instead of
amending X0208, is beyond me.