Re: [tlug] RMS is at it again

2008/6/16 Gernot Hassenpflug <aikishugyo@example.com>:

> Gernot "TV is evil" Hassenpflug

Nice use of the word "evil" there.

> PS I was surprised and very impressed when I was chatting to some
> people in Kyoto, and they discovered I have no TV and go to Kyoto
> university---they then told me that it was a well-known fact that many
> Kyoto university students abhor TVs and refuse to have anything to do
> with them. I regained most of the respect I had lost for the
> university in that moment than I had ever gained by speaking with any
> university staff :-)

Televisions can be used to display other things besides broadcast TV, you know.

If you don't want a television, fine, but I have always found it
annoying when people wear "no TV" like a badge of honour; there is a
lot of content on television that is better than that found in printed
sources, for example, but no-one would ever proudly state "I have no
books; reading is evil".

In the context of this thread, I can see why you bring it up, you
could stand to tone down the holier-than-thouishness, methinks.

--
Cheers,
Josh