Re: [tlug] [Was: iptables] Forward multicats

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 6:45 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
You said that Tera is sending these messages on Wifi according to
Wireshark.

Sorry, I was not clear enough. My network looks like:

TERA -----ethernet----eth0--Linux PC-rausb0----wifi-----lan (including internet router)

The sniffer is on the Linux PC.

First, they can be filtered at the "hardware" layer based on Ethernet

My two interfaces have the "multicast" flag.

Second, AFAIK you need to run an application that registers to receive
packets at the multicast address or a multicast router won't send it
(that's why it's multi-, not broad-, cast).

This is where I am puzzled. I don't know anything about multicast, but if
you are right, I should see  those "invitation" packets from client at first, right?

But I don't see any, and, worse, the multicast packets coming from the TERA
don't appear too on the rausb0 side. As if my forwarding rule would not work for those
(when I ftp from the lan to the TERA, I can see the packets in both sides, if you
wonder if the sniffer works or not).

br.

--
2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.