Re: [tlug] WINDOWS

On Sat, 2008-06-14 at 03:27 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Godwin Stewart writes:
>  > On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 18:57:36 +0900, Nick Bikkal <nickbikkal@example.com>
<snip>

>  > I'm guessing (you'd need to get *real* legal advice to be on the
>  > safe side) if you could copy someone else's CD-ROM and claim you'd
>  > copied your own before it was scratched, you'd be ok.
>
> This won't work anywhere, AFAIK there is identifying data on each disk.

Ok, a quick rundown.

The "Legal Backup issue."  Don't chunk the original.  :P Keep it.  It is
your only proof that the backup is legal.   Best practice is to make the
backup, then store the original.  Only ever use it to make a new backup
if the first one is destroyed.

Second,  The only identifying info is the registration key.  As long as
the CD you borrow is the same as the one that was scratched, you are
good to go as long as you use your registration key.  The registration
key is not bound to a specific CD for XP.  For Vista, I don't know for
sure, but I would guess that the scenerio is similar.  Just make sure
you have the right registration code.