Re: Rendering of '㏄' and '㎍' (i.e., so-called 'CJK Compatibility' characters) (was '㏄' versus 'cc' and '㎍' versus 'µg' usage) [tlug]

"Daniel A. Ramaley" wrote:

> Considering that the 2 characters ['㏄' and '㎍'] in question
> display as little boxes ...

> Suggestions for how to definitively fix the problem of unusual
> characters displaying as boxes would be appreciated.

Try different browsers. Install more fonts and/or language packs.

For the following web page,

  http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/block/cjk_compatibility/utf8test.htm

konqueror renders the characters as boxes, whereas
firefox renders most of the characters, showing the rest
as boxes with four hex digits in each box.
Links in xterm, renders all of them as boxes,
and of those, most are double width boxes, but some are single width boxes.
Links in konsole, renders most of them as little midsquares,
although the ㏋ character is rendered correctly,
and the ㏢  character is rendered as three inverse question marks.
Links in Terminal, renders them about the same as firefox,
but the alignment of columns is messed up,
the characters that firefox renders as boxes with hex,
are just empty boxes in terminal.
Links in gnome-terminal worked about the same as links in Terminal.
I'm using the latest version of Centos,
with many language packages installed.

> My mailer (kmail) doesn't like them though.

I wonder if this is a KDE issue.