Re: [tlug] Opera release

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 08:55:59PM +0900, Wayne wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 05:56 -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:
> > > Opera 9.50 has hit (some of) the mirrors... will take a gander at it
> > > later..
> >
> > I've been using the beta for awhile now.  Aside from the fact that it
> > doesn't do well with Fedora forums, it's pretty good.
> > (Wayne, you'll see a thread on the forums, started by myself, where
> > many
> > others had the same issue.)
>
> Hi Scott,
>
> Generally, I don't use Opera, it's hard to adjust to having the 'OK'
> button on the wrong side :) But I do try each new release to see how
> it's progressing. I remember them making an OS/2 version many
> lifetimes ago :)

I tried to download it, but the version I'm using (which is still marked
beta 2) is considered newer than the version I downloaded.

> Yeah, I saw your thread about it a while ago and just noticed you
> posted in my thread... I downloaded and tried it myself and it got
> stuck on about 21%...

This seems to only occur on Fedora forums. I browse several other
forums, and have no problem.  I also have no problem with it on my BSD
box, where I'm using opera-9.25.

As for Firefox, though Godwin and some others disagree,  I did find 3.x
to be far faster and less resource intensive than FF-2.  My main
server-cum-workstation at home runs CentOS, which only has 1.x--though
as RH upgrades, it should change within a week or so.  I just downloaded
the tarball from Mozilla and run that.

Opera also doesn't work with the zimbra groupware web interface.

However, in general, I much prefer it.  It is (this is what I've read
somewhere anyway) stricter about standards than Firefox, and as fewer
developers follow standards than in the past, perhaps, there are other
pages that don't work with opera but do with firefox.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Xander: Well, yeah. I'd give anything to be able to turn
invisible. I wouldn't use my powers to beat people up, but use
my powers to protect the girl's locker room.