Re: [tlug] VirtualBox Capabilities

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 11:10:38AM +0900, CL wrote:
> Scott Robbins wrote:
>
> >/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
>
> Thanks, that worked.

That's good.

> >It's probably documented somewhere, but of course, that's one of the
> >things about Linux--much of the time you have to google, search, spend
> >hours to find out a simple one line command because no one ever bothered
> >to properly document it.
>
> Finding it is only good when you know what the problem is called.  Linux setup
> instructions are not the only thing I have ever searched for while trying to
> think of every possible name to call the thing I am trying to locate.  I read
> someplace that it is supposed to make you more calm and philosophical.  But,
> the people who write stuff like that never admit to their own Valium
> prescriptions.  That has _got_ to be how they do it. I'm sure of that.

Well, there is a rumor that RH developers and documenters are in the pay
of MS.  I usually believe it after an upgrade or reading some of the
docs.  :)

> away changing things.  I've had enough of those "Yes, *that* /was/ the name in
> *that* version, but *now* we call the process something else" moments in
> Kubuntu to search for files in Dolphin before getting too deep into making a
> change.

I only tested it on Ubuntu.  However, it should be identical with
Kubuntu, especially if you installed the binaries.

> Running the vboxdrv setup _after_ making sure the ATI driver was running in
> Restricted Drivers and resizing the screen in fglrx made all start working
> properly again.  Since I made two changes before rebooting, I am not sure that
> one necessarily led to the other but am curious whether anyone else has noticed
> a connection between their video driver and VirtualBox performance?

No, but I tend to use generic type drivers.  Eventually, I did have one
with an NVidia card, but it runs just as well (for my limited graphic
needs) with the generic kernel nv driver.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Xander: Generally speaking, when scary things get scared, not
good.