Re: [tlug] VirtualBox Capabilities

Scott Robbins wrote:

I'm not sure if you installed via apt or used the binary from their
page. If the latter, then each time you upgrade the kernel, you will
have to run

In keeping with my WIN past, I downloaded and installed the binary ... which was two versions newer than what was in the repositories at that time. The appropriate drivers appeared in the repositories a full five days after the kernel upgrade (DAMHIK).

/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

Thanks, that worked.

It's probably documented somewhere, but of course, that's one of the
things about Linux--much of the time you have to google, search, spend
hours to find out a simple one line command because no one ever bothered
to properly document it.

Finding it is only good when you know what the problem is called. Linux setup instructions are not the only thing I have ever searched for while trying to think of every possible name to call the thing I am trying to locate. I read someplace that it is supposed to make you more calm and philosophical. But, the people who write stuff like that never admit to their own Valium prescriptions. That has _got_ to be how they do it. I'm sure of that.

However, as the VBox docs are pretty good, it's probably in there
somewhere--that's not a criticism, it is the sort of small but important
thing that's hard to find.

I believe many of their developers use Ubuntu, and since that is what
you have, you should be in pretty good shape.

I am eventually off to try the bridge setup. I have printed out your "Wired" instructions and will check all of the process names before getting too carried away changing things. I've had enough of those "Yes, *that* /was/ the name in *that* version, but *now* we call the process something else" moments in Kubuntu to search for files in Dolphin before getting too deep into making a change.

One extremely weird thing that happened at the same time I was having version problems with VirtualBox was that my ATI fglrx driver configuration headed south as soon as I started making changes to VirtualBox. I suddenly found that Kubuntu was defaulting to the drivers for the onboard Intel 865 video chip that is disabled in BIOS. I could resize the screen using System Settings -> Monitor & Display, but as soon as I rebooted, I had to let the system "fix" xorg.conf to get my X-desktop back.

When I could get fglrx to work, all I was getting was 640x480x60 and the Catalyst setup program would not resize or scroll on screen to let me accept the changes to 1280x1024x75 -- I could make the changes but could not reach the "Apply" button. After two days of sifting through the data in about two dozen variations of xorg.conf and slogging through the eminently worthless-for-newbies man pages, I finally discovered that if you manually edit xorg.conf for the board and chip, then erase screen size data, you get a screen that can be resized after rebooting.

Running the vboxdrv setup _after_ making sure the ATI driver was running in Restricted Drivers and resizing the screen in fglrx made all start working properly again. Since I made two changes before rebooting, I am not sure that one necessarily led to the other but am curious whether anyone else has noticed a connection between their video driver and VirtualBox performance?

--
CL