Re: [tlug] VirtualBox Capabilities

Scott Robbins wrote:
On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 08:41:01PM +0900, CL wrote:
Scott Robbins wrote:
On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 05:51:18PM +0900, CL wrote:
Built-in NAT. I'll have to go back and look for the list of which services don't work. I read up on bridged host interfacing and decided that I had enough on my plate without adding this, but it may be something to try.

Of course, I have a page on it. :) http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/vboxbridge.html

Okay, so it's been over a week since my last post on this topic but R/L interfered.

It would appear from your page that bridged host interfacing creates a new "machine" on the dhcp list? It makes sense that treating the v-box as a separate machine might yield different / better results. I will see if switching to bridged networking gets me printer functionality.

It's not a bad manual.  (Although its bridged networking section for
Fedora/RH based systems seems to be written by an Ubuntu user.)  :)

When I read it my immediate thought was "IF 'do' = 'not do' THEN 'not do' = True" but, it would appear as though my premise was wrong. Given my luck with symbolic logic and plain old logical thinking over the years, that is to be expected.

NEXT VIRTUALBOX QUESTION

I set up my WIN XP-J VirtualBox when kernel 2.6.24-17 generic was current. As soon as Kubuntu upgraded the kernel to -18 generic, the VirtualBox stopped working. So I upgraded the main VirtualBox program from 1.6.0 to 1.6.2 -- which was only possible by uninstalling 1.6.0 first as the installer would not upgrade the existing installation (even as root -- but if that was because I screwed something up, please advise) and the appropriate VirtualBox drivers for -18 generic. In kernel -18 generic, I am told that the VirtualBox drivers are incorrect for my installation but, if I restart in -17 generic, everything works fine.

I thought that if I had the appropriate drivers for the current kernel that everything would be copacetic, as in other programs. But, am I correct in assuming that I am stuck with the kernel version current at the time I set up the VirtualBox? Since -18 fixed some niggles in other programs, I'd prefer to be more current. Is there a workaround? I haven't found an FM to R on this subject, yet.

--
CL